'Electrical Event' Ruled Cause of Accidental Annandale House Fire
The fire on Sunday afternoon caused an estimated $60,000 in damages to the home.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue investigators have named an unidentified electrical event in the basement as the cause of Sunday’s accidental fire in the 6600 block of Reserves Hill Court off of Old Columbia Pike in Annandale.
According to a news release, the fire started in the mechanical room in the basement and later spread to the ceiling and first floor subfloor of the home. The news release states firefighters responded to the house fire at approximately 1:55 p.m. to find “heavy smoke coming from the basement of the two-story home.” It took firefighters about 15 minutes to get the fire under control.
A spokesperson for the department told Patch on Sunday that the smoke alarms in the home did not activate, but all occupants were able to escape the home unharmed prior to firefighters arriving on scene.
The four adults and six children who lived in the home have been displaced and are accepting Red Cross assistance. Damage to the home is estimated at $60,000.