Weekend Planner: Begonias, Pirate Jack, Owls and More
Local events in our area Friday, July 27 through Sunday, July 29.
Wondering what to do with your weekend? Let Patch help you plan with our list of local events happening this Friday through Monday.
- Where: Green Spring Gardens, Alexandria
- When: Saturday, July 28 at 9:30 a.m.
- Why Go: Learn about all the different varieties of begonias and how to make them thrive. Take some “starters” home to add to your collection.
- Price: $18 for Fairfax County residents; $20 for non-residents
- Braddock Nights presents Project Natale at Lake Accotink Park, Springfield. Friday, July 27 at 7:30 p.m. FREE.
- Spotlight by Starlight presents Robin and Linda Williams and Their Fine Group at Mason District Park, Annandale. Friday, July 27 at 7:30 p.m. FREE.
- Arts in the Parks presents Pirate Jack at Mason District Park, Annandale. Saturday, July 28 at 10 a.m. FREE.
- Spotlight by Starlight presents Bolivian Cultural Heritage Night at Ossian Hall Park, Annandale. Saturday, July 28 at 7:30 p.m. FREE.
- Spotlight by Starlight presents NAYAS at Mason District Park, Annandale. Sunday, July 29 at 7:30 p.m. FREE.
- All About Owls Campfire at Hidden Oaks Nature Center, Annandale. Saturday, July 28 at 7:45 p.m. For ages 3 and up. $6 - $8 per person – Registration Required.
- Mammal Mania – Rodents at Hidden Pond Nature Center, Springfield. Friday, July 27 at 4 p.m. For ages 6 – 8. $5 - $7 per person – Registration Required.
- Historic Kayak Tours to the Town of Occoquan at Occoquan Regional Park, Lorton. Saturday, July 28 at 11 a.m. $10 per person – Reservations Required.
- Where: Four Mile Run Park, Alexandria
- When: Sunday, July 29 from Noon – 7 p.m.
- Why Go: This family event will feature music, dancing, children’s activities, a health fair, and traditional arts and crafts from South America and Central America. Food and beverages will also be available for purchase.
- Price: There is an entrance fee.
- Where: The Little Theatre of Alexandria
- When: Saturday, July 28 at 8 p.m.; Sunday, July 29 at 3 p.m. (Various showtimes through Aug. 18)
- Why Go: Stephen Sondheim’s musical thriller tells the tale of Benjamin Barker, aka Sweeney Todd, and his plans for revenge in 19th century London. Please be aware that this production contains some mature themes.
- Price: Tickets range from $22 - $27
- Where: GMU Center for the Arts, Fairfax
- When: Public sale is Sunday, July 29 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Why Go: The GMU School of Music will hold its annual sale of pianos that have been on loan from Steinway for the past year. Proceeds will benefit various schools of music activities. Appointments may be made to view and purchase pianos in advance.
- Price: Pianos are priced at a reduced rate