Weekend Planner: Black History Month, Chinese New Year, Chocolate and Wine
Local events Friday, Feb. 8 through Sunday, Feb. 10.
Have no weekend plans? Here's a glance at some of the local activities in Northern Virginia this weekend.
Share other events you think your neighbors would be interested in down below in the comments!
- Where: 511 Greeley Blvd, Springfield
- When: Saturday, Feb. 9, 2-4 p.m.
- Why Go: Bring your eight-year-old to learn about “The Kingfisher's Speech” and enjoy crafts, games, refreshments, and more at the social event of Hidden Pond's winter season.
- Price: $8 per person
- Where: 3200 George Washington Memorial Pkwy, Mount Vernon
- When: Recurring daily until Feb. 28.
- Why Go: Celebrate Black History Month by learning more about the lives of the slaves who built and operated the plantation home of George and Martha Washington.
- Price: Events included in regular estate admission. Adults, $17, $8 for children ages 6-11. Children 5 and under are admitted free.
- Where: Hidden Oaks Nature Center, 7701 Royce St., Annandale
- When: Sunday, Feb. 10 from 2-3 p.m.
- Why Go: Ever wondered which animal was associated with your birth year? Find out and learn more about the Year of the Snake and the Chinese New Year.
- Price: $7 per person
- Where: Paradise Springs Winery, 13219 Yates Ford Rd, Clifton
- When: Friday, Feb. 8 through Sunday, Feb. 17 during normal business hours (11 a.m. – 7 p.m.; 11 a.m.-9 p.m.)
- Why Go: Enjoy samples of chocolate with selections of wine to kick off the upcoming Valentine’s Day holiday.
- Price: $25 per person
- Where: Workhouse Arts Center, 9601 Ox Road, Lorton
- When: Friday, Feb. 8
- Why Go: Watch the 1954 film, directed by Otto Preminger and starring Harry Belafonte, Dorothy Dandridge, Pearl Bailey, Olga James and Joe Adams, on the big screen.
- Price: $45, includes film, dinner and soft drinks
- Where: Kingstowne Library, 6500 Landsdowne Centre, Alexandria
- When: Saturday, Feb. 9, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Why Go: All money raised during the sale supports the library.
- Price: Free to attend. Books and DVDs will vary by cost.