Fairfax County officials published the following tips on how to shovel snow safely today:
- Shovel small amounts of snow at a time.
- Push the snow instead of lifting where possible.
- Use proper form if lifting is necessary: keeping your back straight and lift with your legs.
- If you have a history of heart disease do not shovel without your doctor’s okay.
- Avoid shoveling under snow and ice covered trees and roof lines due to possibly falling limbs, ice and snow.
- Take breaks while shoveling and do not overexert yourself, especially if you are inactive or over 40.
- Dress in layers and wear warm clothing and appropriate footwear.
- Watch where you are walking, even a little bit of snow can hide curbs and uneven walkways.
- Take off your boots or use a floor mat when you go back inside to avoid making floors slippery and hazardous.