.

60 Firefighters Battle Blaze in Annandale Caused by Gas Stove Left On

Damage is estimated at $60,000; there were no injuries, but 10 people were displaced.

Sixty firefighters were on the scene of a fire Tuesday that displaced 10 people. Patch archive photo
Sixty firefighters were on the scene of a fire Tuesday that displaced 10 people. Patch archive photo

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a garden apartment fire, Tuesday, at approximately 5:15 p.m., in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. 

The apartment complex, Wedgewood Apartments, is owned by Fairfax County and located at 7607 Allman Drive.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the front of a ground floor apartment upon arrival. The Incident Commander struck a second alarm, bringing approximately 60 firefighters to the scene. 

Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly brought the fire under control. The fire originated in the kitchen of apartment 101 and extended to the second and third floors through a common pipe chase. 

Approximately 10 occupants have been displaced and are being assisted by apartment management and the Red Cross. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $60,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A gas stove that was left on caused the fire.


Kitchen Safety Tips
  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
  • Wear short or tight fitting sleeves when cooking. Long loose sleeves are more likely to catch on fire or get caught on pot handles.
  • Keep things that can catch fire such as dish towels, curtains, or paper, at least three feet away from the stove.
  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • Turn pot handles inward, facing the wall to prevent burns caused by overturning or spills.
  • Pot holders or oven mitts prevent burns when handling hot dishes.
  • Regularly clean your cooking equipment so that there are no cooking materials, food items or grease accumulation.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool.
  • If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »