Officers checked a total of 15 stores as part of the operation. Three locations were caught selling alcohol to minors.
The three stores where the arrests were made are:
CVS, located at 7859 Heritage Dr. in Annandale; Safeway, located at 9525 Braddock Rd. in Fairfax; and the Safeway located at 5204 Port Royal Rd. in Springfield.
As part of the operation, police cadets enter the stores and try to purchase liquor from the business. If the cadet is successfully able to purchase alcohol, a uniformed officer waiting outside comes in and makes an arrest.
In Virginia, selling liquor to a minor is a class-one misdemeanor that carries with it upon conviction a maximum fine of $2,500, up to 12 months in jail or both.
The police department conducts these undercover operations a few times during the year.
"The goal is to try and remind businesses that we have a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of violations," said Lucy Caldwell, public information officer with the department.
The other 12 business that were checked as part of the operation, but did not sell alcohol were in Burke, Annandale, Springfield and Fairfax.
- CVS Burke Centre, 5711 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke
- Giant University Mall, 10653 Braddock Road, Fairfax
- Virginia ABC, 5739 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke
- Safeway, 5727 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke
- 7-Eleven, 7822 Rectory Lane, Annandale
- Giant, 8320 Old Keene Road, Springfield
- H-Mart, 7885 Heritage Drive, Annandale
- CVS, 8330 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield
- Giant Kings Park, 8970 Burke Lake Road, Springfield
- Rite Aid, 5230 Port Royal Road, Springfield
- Rite Aid, 9579 Braddock Road, Springfield
- 7-Eleven, 8017 Braddock Road, Springfield