Updated: Ararat Court House Fire Ruled Accidental

There were no injuries in the fire, which started just before 1 p.m. on Tuesday.

Update 7 p.m. Friday: According to a news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the fire was accidental. Due to the derecho storm on Friday, the home was without power for days. When power was restored to the home, "the electric stove was in the on position and combustible materials near the stove ignited causing the fire."

Two adults and three children have been displaced. The family has accepted Red Cross assistance.

The total cost of damage is estimated at about $85,000.

Original post July 3 2:40 p.m.

A house fire in the 8400 block of Ararat Court in Annandale partially shut down Monarch Lane and all of Ararat Court on Tuesday afternoon. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

According to one of the fire commanders on scene, a neighbor called in at 12:49 p.m. and units responded at 12:55 p.m. to see flames coming from the eaves of the home. It took firefighters under 10 minutes to get the fire under control. There was no one home at the time of the fire.

Neighbors on Ararat Court and Monarch Lane gathered along the sidewalks to watch the firefighters work. One neighbor, who did not give his name, said the owners of the home are renting the house out. The current tenants are reportedly moving out and the owners are returning.

Power from Friday's storm was returned to homes on Ararat Court within the last two hours. It's possible the fire was electrical, however, the Fire Marshall has not completed his inspection of the home.

The scene commander estimates there is about $20,000 worth of damage to the home.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »