Annandale resident Scott Anderson was among 118 local volunteers recognized at the 20th Annual Awards ceremony held at the Waterford in Springfield on Friday.
Anderson, who is a volunteer with FACETS, won the Adult Volunteer Under 250 Hours award. Stanley Garnett won the Community Champions award for Mason District and Greg Sykes won the Community Champions award for Braddock District.
[View the full gallery of winners above.]
Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11), the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, including Chairman Sharon Bulova, Braddock District Supervisor John Cook and Mason District Supervisor Penny Gross, were also on hand to recognize the honorees from local area organizations. Cynne Simpson from ABC 7 News served as emcee for the event.
Hosted by Volunteer Fairfax in partnership with the Board of Supervisors and sponsored by UnitedHealthcare, the Fairfax County Volunteer Service Awards "honors volunteers who are dedicated to improving life in Fairfax County," according to Volunteer Fairfax.
The honorees contributed 205,688 hours of volunteer service time. valued at $4.5 million.
The following Annandale residents were nominated for awards:
- Mark Cohen volunteered at , nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- Hecda Cuadros volunteered at Fairfax CASA/ Food for Others, nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- Tam Do volunteered at Northern Virginia Family Service, nominated for the Adult Volunteer 250 Hours & Under Award.
- Charlie Dunne volunteered at the is nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- Johan Glembocki volunteered at , nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- Richard Ohlhaver volunteered at , and is nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- Ted Ralph volunteered at FACETS, and is nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- David Scull volunteered at , and is nominated for the Benchmark 250 Award.
- volunteered at various locations, and is nominated for the Adult Volunteer Group Award.